Saturday, February 15, 2014

How can I keep my potted tulip plant alive?

Q. I received a potted fragrant tulip plant for Valentines Day. I want to keep it alive and healthy for as long as possible. Any tips?

A. The flowers will open, fade and the petals fall off. Flowers will last about 1 to 1-1/2 weeks if the buds were tight when you received the tulips. Once the flowers fall, the leaves will continue green for awhile, but won't be particularly attractive. They will last longer if you water sparingly. If you want to plant them in the garden, put them in a dry place. Frankly, tulips are best treated as annuals.

Return to GoGardenNow.com

1 comment:

Jean Campbell said...

Sigh. Why do non-gardeners always get growing things that have no shelf life?

When I give away potted hyacinths, people always want to know how to keep them forever. I dutifully give my best instructions and many have a bloom in the garden the following year.